How to overcome limiting beliefs
What are limiting beliefs?
Limiting beliefs are those which constrain us in some way. Just by believing them, we do not think, do or say the things that they inhabit and in doing so we bring poverty to our lives. Limiting beliefs are often about us and our self-identity. The beliefs may also be about other people and the world in general.
Belief is a state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case, with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
An acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof ( https://www.dictionary.com/browse/belief )
According to Tony Robbins, beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives.
The very first and important achievement in life is realizing you are chained by self-limiting beliefs and working on removing such limiting beliefs that are blocking your way to success.
According to https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/focus-forgiveness/201311/4-steps-release-limiting-beliefs-learned-childhood your limiting beliefs are hiding out in the areas where you are producing results that you don’t want. They can either be adopted from childhood or at adulthood stage.
What are the limiting beliefs that are holding you?
There are a lot of self-limiting beliefs that I used to cling to and thought they are apparent to me. For example, I have always thought that having a good-paying job will make me happy, I thought having good friends will make me happy. I thought material wealth will be happy.
None of it ever brought the deep happiness I longed for. There has always been something missing. It was only through an inward journey that I started, I began to realize I am responsible for determining my own happiness and that the power to do it is within me
Many beliefs are perceived to be facts until the day you decide to take a very good hard look at what you believe. Here are some of the most common self-limiting beliefs around us those limiting our growth. There are a lot more and you read through this list, you’ll recognize yourself in some of these:
Selfdoubt Self-doubt is one thing that is a big mindset block. It is important to eliminate it and start believing in yourself and this will lead to others believing in you. Stop thinking about what could go wrong but think about what can be right and achievable. Say these to yourself daily as motivation. Allow them to sink in and you will start to move on
- I will never doubt that I’m too old or I’m too young.
- I will never doubt that I’m too poor … I lack the money and resources.
- I will doubt that I’m too fat or too skinny … too tall or too short.
- I will never doubt that I’m not smart enough.
- I will never doubt that I’m not popular enough.
- I will never doubt that I’m not connected enough.
Self-critic is something many of us are struggling to cope with. We all look down upon ourselves so much we hurt ourselves. We are our own critics. We believe in everything being perfect and it is one thing that is holding us back.
Procrastination is the avoidance of doing a task that needs to be accomplished by a certain deadline. It could be further stated as a habitual or intentional delay of starting or finishing a task despite knowing it might have negative consequences. Wikipedia
- I can’t start and I’m not ready.
- I don’t have enough time
- I don’t have enough time
- My plate is full of other tasks
- What if people don’t support me
- Many people are already doing
Take a closer look at your self-sabotaging beliefs by asking do introspection. Limiting beliefs tend to affect people in all the ways. Check yourself using the following. Think about any other areas of your life where you’re less than satisfied. If you’re not pleased with your life, a limiting belief could be the cause.
- Fun & Adventure
- any other aspect of your life in which you’re experiencing dissatisfaction.
Few techniques to overcoming self-limiting beliefs
- Meditation on the promises of God. Meditation is important as it can be done anywhere and at any time. It just needs you to be consistent and persistent
- Take a deep breath daily, it’s a wonderful relaxation technique that busy moms can apply to get better.
- A warm bath then massages yourself with oils and snuggle
- Take walk, go for jogging or do some exercises. It will help to free your mind and start to see you have plenty of potential.
- Remember to keep a journal of all your experiences; it will help someone in the future.
- Your words are powerful. The bible says there is too much power in our tongue. Tell yourself words that build yourself. Narrate a powerful story to yourself and believe in the power of that story. Also, monitor your though. The bible says we must bring all negative thoughts into captivity.( https://www.biblestudytools.com/topical- verses/inspirational-bible-verses/ )
- Talk to someone about the beliefs